Five interesting facts about English that will shock you There are quite a number of interesting facts about English Language that are shocking and seem unbelievable. Some of these facts are:
1. English is not England’s official language. English is spoken as a first language by more than 95 percent of the population, which makes its officialization unnecessary.
2. Although the United States of America is home to the world’s largest population of native English speakers, English isn’t an official language of the country because like in the UK, it is pointless since almost everyone speaks the language. Other native-English-speaking countries where English isn’t an official language are Australia and New Zealand.
3. Countries in which English is an official language are the countries that were once colonized by Britain. Although Rwanda and Eritrea were not colonized by Britain, they have adopted English as an official language. There are 56 countries in which English is an official language.
4. The motto of the English and British royalty is not written in English. It is written in French, and it is “Dieu et mon Droit” which means “God and my Right”. It is credited with being the origin of the divine right of kings.
5. English is the only language in the world that every airline pilot must speak irrespective of their national and linguistic origins. The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), in 2008, made it compulsory for every pilot to speak English.“This is because several aircraft can be on the same radio frequency and it is vital that pilots know what is going on around them,” according to the UK Telegraph of March 5, 2008.
Written by : anonymous